If you love coffee and other beverages, you certainly would have known about espresso. In this article, we are going to guide you through espresso drinks.
Espresso is used as a base for many types of drinks. Though the process may look simple, making espresso has to be done carefully under the watchful eyes of experienced and skilled people. Even a small mistake could cost you dearly and could end up ruining the entire cup of espresso.
However, we need to understand that there are many variables that go into the making of espresso drinks. The final taste can also be tweaked keeping in mind the specific needs and desired results of the people who will be consuming the beverage.
How is Espresso Made?
Espresso is made when hot water at high pressure is pushed into the ground coffee. The unique thing about espresso is the versatility that it offers. You can use any type of coffee beans and it will be tasty, aromatic, and enjoyable. Furthermore, espresso is served in shots most of the time and in most cases, two shots are served. These shots are known as Doppio.
Doppio is basically an Italian word and it stands for double. So you’re getting a double-shot of espresso. Doppio shots are considered to have thicker cream and the beverage is also quite concentrated. That being said, let’s also look at some other common types of espresso drinks.
Six Different Espresso Drinks
When you are ranking espresso drinks, you can be sure that Cappuccino will come under the category of one of the most popular coffee beverages that there is. It is widely prepared and it is quite likely that you will find it almost across the entire world. This particular espresso drink has stood the test of time.
The method of brewing Cappuccino has again evolved over time. While there could be a few variations, it is mostly concocted by using 1/3rd espresso, 1/3rd foam, and 1/3rd milk. It’s never a bad time to enjoy a hot Cappuccino because the foam at the top helps to keep the beverage hot for a longer period of time.
As the name suggests, Americano is another variant of espresso coffee that is quite popular in the United States. It is basically a shot of espresso coffee with hot water. It sounds a little strange at first, but the hot water has a big role to play. It helps in softening the flavor of this variant of espresso coffee. It makes it better and you will enjoy sipping it, especially during a cold winter morning.
If you are in a hurry and have to reach the office a bit early, you could take this awesome beverage in a thermostat flask. It certainly will make your day fresh and lively because of the pure coffee that comes with it. It also is a rich source of many beneficial antioxidants and could perhaps offer you valuable health benefits also. It is considered to be less intense when compared to regular coffee. If you drink two shots of Americano you would end up consuming between 94 to 150 milligrams of caffeine and it could offer that much-needed boost at the beginning of the day.
Macchiato is often referred to as a bold and rich espresso beverage. However, it has some noticeable differences. A layer of steamed milk is added. The milk is then topped with two bold shots of espresso and milk foam is then used to finish the beverage.
You can be sure that you will find this variant of espresso at least four to six times stronger when compared to regular coffee. If you are able to enjoy it with water, you certainly will be able to come out with a full-bodied and balanced drink. It is capable of boosting your energy levels and many consider it to be the best way to get started in the morning after a good night’s sleep.
Those who have some idea about Ristretto will understand that it is perhaps another fancy name for that single shot of espresso coffee, however, a Ristretto is more highly concentrated. It uses finely ground beans and less water than that of a typical espresso.
If you visit small espresso coffee outlets in your neighborhood, you will see small cups lining the countertops. You can be reasonably sure that these will be used for making Ristretto. It is considered by many to be one of the purest ways of enjoying coffee. Many outlets serve it with a glass of water so that it could be used intermittently with Ristretto. This is perhaps because Ristretto is extremely rich.
This is my personal favorite. Oddly enough, I’m not a big fan of sweets, but I can’t resist the combination of chocolate and coffee together. Mocha is often considered to be one of the sweetest of all espresso drinks. This is because it is prepared by adding chocolate and steamed milk. A dollop of whipped cream is also added on top to make it just unique and tasty.
It may not be the best beverage to get your day started, but you could try it out after a meal or even with a dessert. Just a fun fact, Starbucks’ Cafe Mocha is the beverage that got me hooked on drinking coffee. Now, here I am 15 years later still drinking coffee and still ordering a Cafe Mocha from Starbucks.
As the name suggests, Flat White is another popular espresso coffee that contains coffee and steamed milk. Many believe that it is a simple and no-nonsense approach for those who are keen on having a quality dairy beverage that combines the best taste of coffee along with the special taste of steamed milk topped with a layer of microfoam.
Though Flat Whites are more popular in Europe, they are now available at Starbucks locations in the United States.
Health Benefits of Drinking Espresso
Are there any health benefits associated with espresso drinks? This is a common question that comes to the mind of many people. Coffee is a rich source of caffeine and there are differing views and thoughts about the pros and cons of caffeine. However, there are reasons to believe that regular drinking of espresso beverages could offer some proven and time-tested benefits. Let’s have a look at some of the most common benefits that are associated with the regular consumption of espresso drinks.
- It may help in improving memory. If you are able to master the art of drinking the right quantity of espresso drink, you could enjoy some health benefits. There are many people who believe that regular drinking of measured quantities of espresso drinks could go a long way in sharpening memory power. It could help in memory consolidation and this in turn could play a positive role in improving long-term memory. It is important to stick to the same quantity. Increasing or decreasing the quantity may not have any impact either short term or long term.
- It could help increase your attention span. It is quite common to see many people start their day with a shot of espresso. There are some good reasons for this age-old practice. If you start the day with a strong cup of espresso, you could find a significant reduction in fatigue throughout the day. Further, it also could play a proactive role in improving attention span, vigilance, and other positive attributes. This happens primarily because there is a neurochemical interaction that may be taking place. However, like I said before, it may be important to make sure that you stick to the original quantity and not increase or decrease the amount you drink arbitrarily.
- Drinking espresso could help in weight loss. Though there are different methods used for brewing coffee, espresso has a unique way of doing it. Apart from being good to your taste buds, it also could help in weight loss. This is because it is a low-calorie beverage. Each ounce of espresso coffee drink contains only about three calories. This is, of course, without adding cream or sugar to it. Apart from being low on calories, it also could help in improving your overall workout and exercise performance. Caffeine could help in making exercise less demanding and less strenuous. It could also bring down exertion levels by as much as 5%. So if you’re not typically someone who used pre-workouts before hitting the gym, maybe this would be a good alternative for you and give you a little bit of extra energy and boost that metabolic rate.
- You may be able to reduce the risk of strokes by consuming espresso. There was a study conducted by some Swedish medical teams and according to the report, people who drink at least one cup of coffee every day could bring down the risk of stroke quite significantly. The reason for this is because coffee is a rich source of many useful antioxidants.
- It also could bring down the risk of diabetes, especially type 2 diabetes. This is not just something that was plucked out of thin air, this is based on many men and women who were into coffee drinking for more than four years. It could be attributed to better vitality and energy and it also could improve the metabolic functions of the individuals concerned.
In view of the benefits explained above, there is no need for anybody to feel guilty when it comes to drinking coffee in general and espresso coffee in particular. There are different variants to espresso coffee and you could choose the one that suits your specific taste, preferences, and needs.
The way in which espresso coffee is made is perhaps one reason why it is so appealing to the taste buds. It has many health benefits because of it being low on calories and also having a number of antioxidants. Espresso has stood the test of time ever since it was invented in 1901. It has been around for almost 120 years and has grown in popularity because of obvious reasons.
Now, I’m not a medical professional and none of this is meant to be medical advice. This is based on research that I’ve done and what other people have said were real benefits that they experienced.